Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Second Hip Surgery

I haven't posted since before my hip surgery on May 11th. Things were kind of busy leading up to the surgery and after it was done I didn't feel much like writing. I decided that I would just take six weeks off and relax as much as possible. "Relaxing" this time meant watching videos, reading, sleeping, etc. Although I didn't feel like reading as much this time as I did for the first hip.

This surgery was certainly different than the last in terms of recovery. I did not loose as much blood and therefore felt better and stronger since the first day. The joint itself was also much more stable for walking and other activities. The only real challenge was lifting the knee forward and upward as in going up stairs or getting into a car. Otherwise things went very well. My wound continued to drain as the last time, so I had to stay in the hospital for 5 days and it healed slowly so I had to wait over 3 weeks before I could shower, but otherwise things were good. I did not need to take any drugs, even in the hospital I did not use any of the patient controlled analgesia.

During my recovery it was much more comfortable getting in and out of bed and looking after myself. I could also drive after three weeks, although, as I mentioned, the movements getting into and out of a car were the most uncomfortable. Sitting, as usual, was also uncomfortable, even in a comfy recliner. The best way to relax was semi-reclined in bed.

I suppose my overall fatigue level was somewhat higher. I certainly napped regularly and slept well. Since I was walking better I could go to the gym earlier and start working out. In the beginning it was somewhat uncomfortable using the stationary bike and my cardio and strength have dropped. These did not rebound as quickly as I had expected them to. Perhaps this is because I was so weakened from my first surgery that once I had started to improve things seemed to go more quickly.

I also did not have as much ability to concentrate so I did not read as much. I spent more time watching videos. A movie is actually a little too long so I started watching tv shows. Eventually I decided that it would be interesting to watch "Lost". It seemed to be a popular show and it had just finished while I was in the hospital. So I watching the whole six seasons straight through. I'll post about Lost later.

No major complaints about this surgery at all. I have noticed that my first surgery hip has become more stiff because of inactivity but hopefully it will continue to improve also. I'm starting work today, although it will be for half-days for a little while. By next week I should be back in the groove. I still have some healing to do, bending over to put on shoes still hurts and sitting for any length of time is not so good. It all gets a bit better every day.

No comments: